IB Exam Paper 2 Outlines
Topic 1: Causes, practices and effects of war
Topic 2: Nationalist and independence movements, decolonisation and challenges facing new states
Topic 3: The rise and rule of single-party states
Topic 4: Peace and cooperation: international organisations and multiparty states
Topic 5: The Cold War
Topic 6: The state and its relationship with religion and with minorities
IB Exam Paper 3 Outlines
(bolded numbers are the outlines that are completed)
1. Compare and contrast the main features of the administration of British and Spanish colonies by the middle of the eighteenth century
2. Evaluate the relative impact of economic measures and political ideas in promotion independence in two colonies of the region
3. Why did the Articles of Confederation fail to provide strong government?
4. "The nineteenth century did not bring Latin American the order and presperity that the liberators had hoped for." With reference to two or more countries, to what extent do you agree with this judgment?
5. For what reasons and, in what ways, did supporters of slavery in the nineteenth century use legal, religious, and economic arguments in its defense?
6. Assess the relative strengths of the North and the South at the beginning of the United States Civil War in 1861
7. Why were some Canadian provinces not interested in Confederation by 1867?
8. Explain why there was a high level of immigration into one country of the region, in the second half of the nineteenth century
9. Analyse the main literary trends in two countries of the region between the 1850s and 1920s
10. Explain how and why the position of African Americans improved in United States society between 1877 and 1945
11. "The main aim of Franklin Roosevelt's policy towards Latin America (1933-45) was to improve relations between the two regions." Assess the validity of this statement.
12. Examine the major stages of the Mexican Revolution (1910-20) and explain the programmes of three of the most important leaders
13. Analyse the main developments in Canada's economic relations with the United States in the first half of the twentieth century
14. Analyse the causes of the Great Depression in one country in the Americas
15. For what reasons, and by what means, did either Perón or Vargas obtain power?
16. Why did the United States become involved in the Second World War?
17. Analyse the relatios between the United States and either Canada or one country in Latin America, between 1945 and 1965
18. Compare and contrast the causes of two revolutionary movements in Latin America after 1945
19. Assess the successes and failures of the foreign policies of either Eisenhower (1953-61) or Kennedy (1961-63).
20. For what reasons, and in what ways, did the Civil Rights movement in the United States become more radical between 1965 and 1968?
21. "By the late 1960s it seemed to many Americans that the forces of chaos and radicalism were taking control of the nation." To what extent did the domestic policies of either Richard Nixon (1969-74) or Jimmy Carter (1977-81) address this situation?
22. Analyse the policies introduced by Canada with respect to two of her minorities in the twentieth century
23. In what ways, and to what extent, did the foreign policy of Ronald Reagan (1981-89) affect the Cold War?
24. Compare and contrast the progress made by women since 1945 in two countries in the region
25. To what extent was the Organization of American States (OAS) successful as a mediator in hemispheric conflicts between 1950 and 1990?